Entry formalities and residence permit

For detailed information about the specific entry regulations for applicants from your country, please contact the German embassy in your country. Please make sure to collect sufficient information about the current conditions before traveling to Germany.

In order to enter Germany, you must be in posession of a valid visa for students (Applicants’ Visa). You will receive a visa after submitting the invitation to take the entrance exam to the German consulate in your home country. Please do not enter Germany with a Tourist visa! This visa cannot be extended or changed without going back to your home country.

Residents of the European Union and the following countries do not require an entry visa: Andorra, Australia, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Honduras, USA.

The applicant must submit a certified copy of his or her German residence permit, otherwise enrollment will be denied. You can obtain a residence permit at the Alien Registration Office in Tuttlingen:

Landratsamt Tuttlingen
Bahnhofstraße 100
78532 Tuttlingen
Telephone: 07461 / 926-5202
Fax: 07461 / 926-99-5202

The following documents are required in order to obtain a residence permit:

  • passport
  • a current photograph (not older than six months)
  • health insurance certificate
  • enrollment certificate
  • declaration proving your ability to finance your studies (parents’ statement and statement of bank account with credit of approx (650,00 EUR)

After one year, the residence permit needs to be extended. You can find the corresponding form at the student’s secretary, room 244.

After completing their studies, foreign students may stay up to one year in Germany in search of employment. If he or she finds a job matching his or her degree of study, the residence permit will be renewed.


Candidates must submit, together with their application, a certificate proving that they are able to finance their studies and their stay in Germany. In addition, students will have to periodically prove that they have sufficient money to support themselves and their studies.

Fees see Infothek für Bewerber - Studiengebühren

Compulsory health insurance

Together with the application, applicants are required to submit a health insurance certificate. Students can obtain insurance from any German health insurance company. The average current insurance fee for students is approx. 50,- to 60,- Euro per month.

The school also accepts the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which can be obtained in EU-countries as well as in a few other European countries. For information about the EHIC, please contact a health insurance company in your home country.

Be sure to take into consideration that your monthly budget needs to cover not only the costs for rent and food but also for music scores, study books, travelling and other expenses.

Students who would like to recieve a stipend should visit the German embassy or consulate in their home country, or check the following websites: www.daad.eu.dewww.funding-guide.de

Generally, the Trossingen University of Music does not supply any financial support. However, limited subsidies are possible on request, e.g. a partial reimbursement for travelling expenses to and from a competition.

German partial scholarships, for example those granted by the German Ministry of Science or the DAAD, can be requested only after having studied succesfully for a certain amount of semesters (e.g. „Final Exam Aid“ for the semester before the final exam). These scholarships can be granted to a very limited number of students only.

Work permit

Together with their residence permit, foreign students will also receive a limited work permit. With this work permit students are allowed to work for a maximum of 90 full or 180 half days next to their studies.